Wednesday, September 28, 2011
LG Optimus 3D has gained a lot of attentions due to its glasses free 3D technology. In this post, we will share all what we know about this smartphone, such as tips and tricks, up ROM, backup, how to capture and share 3D videos and photos, and play NVIDA Tegra 2 games on this smartphone.
1. About LG Optimus 3D
This 3D smartphone was first introduced in MWC 2011 forum in Feb 2011. It is the second 3D devices from LG (after LG Optimus Pad 3D tablet).
- CPU: TI OMAP 4430 dual-core 1GHz.
- RAM: 512MB DDR2.
- Screen: 4.3” (800 x 480).
- Built-in storage: 8GB (~5GB useable).
- Support microSD card up to 32GB.
- Cameras: 2 (main camera: 5MP with LED flash).
- OS: Android 2.2.2 (upgraded to 2.3).
- Battery: 1500 mAh.
Inside the box: Body, USB cable, charger, in-ear phone, and guide book.
Tri-Dual technology: One of remarkable features of Optimus 3D is tri-dual technology. Tri-dual is dual-core (dual-core processor), dual-channel (RAM) and dual memory (storages: built-in and microSD). The following figure shows the difference between RAM of LG Optimus 3D and that of HTC EVO 3D:
The dual-channel helps to reduce the time for accessing RAM and, therefore, this smartphone runs smoother.
2. 3D on LG Optimus 3D
Capturing 3D videos: 3D videos captured by this smartphone has HD 720p resolution (not HD 1080p as capturing 2D videos). Some settings this phone supports for capturing 3D videos:
- Switch between back and front cameras.
- Change the depth of 3D images.
- Change EV (controlling the brightness of videos based on the light of environment).
- Change resolution.
- Other settings: stabilization, white balance, …
It’s rather easy to capture 3D videos with this smartphone. Only 2 things you need to consider: 1) you should turn on the stabilization feature and 2) the white balance is not good in low light environments, you should change the white balance setting manually for better results.
3D movies on LG Optimus 3D: To play movies on LG Optimus 3D, the 3D file format must be SBS/Half-SBS/Over-Under.
Upload 3D videos to YouTube 3D: in the default software for watching 3D video, click Menu > Sharing > YouTube to upload your video to YouTube 3D.
Sharing 3D images: A good way to share 3D images is to use the website http://www.3df33d.tv . Details:
- Access to http://www.3df33d.tv, create an account, check mail to activate.
- Prepare *.JPS file to share. Rename files to *.JPG (only change the extension).
- Go to http://www.3df33d.tv/Preferences to change the way to view 3D (for example: Side By Side mode for 3D monitor or Anaglyph for watching with glasses).
- Click Upload button and choose “Upload 3D photos”.
- In the next page, choose “Side by Side” for 3D Input Format, browse to your files and click Upload > Save.
- Now enjoy your image or get link to share
One of the best websites for viewing 3D image is http://www.3dpic.net/3d-pictures-gallery/. You need to have Java in your web browsers to view 3D images having SBS, Red-Cyan or any 3D formats.
3. Tips and Tricks
a) Save battery
- Set the screen brightness to Auto in Setting > Display > Brightness.
- Turn off all unnecessary connects (wifi, bluetooth, GPS) when you don’t use.
- If you don’t use 3G frequently, turn it off and use 2G instead.
- Remove widgets (Facebook, Twitter, Weather … ) out of the main screen.
b) Improve the performance
Use the Performance Pack from LG Optimus 2D to improve the performance.
c) Change theme
To install Theme for LG Optimus 3D, you need to have ClockworkMod Recovery and feature “install zip from sdcard”, which will be discuss in details in the next section. Until now, not many themes are designed for this smartphone. You can choose your theme at http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1077
- The built-in storage (LGE folder) already has LG Optimus 3D drivers for PC and PC Suite. You don’t need to download them from Internet.
- To capture screen without rooting, press Power button and then quickly press Home button. The captured images will be saved in CapturedImage folder in the built-in storage.
- When receiving an incoming call, rotate your phone to turn off the sound.
- You can use the Facebook icon to update which music you’re listening to Facebook
- Sound files recorded by the recorder will be saved in the SoundRecoder folder in the built-in storage.
- To download everything from the web browser, you can use ASTRO File Manager and chose “Enable Browser Download” in Preferences.
4. Up ROM
ROM is a OS version of our smartphone. ROM may be supported from LG or other communities on internet.
Important notes before Up ROM!
- If you do not follow the instructions correctly, your smartphone may be bricked.
- Charge your battery fully.
- Try some ROMs and choose a good one.
Step by step:
- Root your device:
1) Download SuperOneClick from http://www.mediafire.com/?0fd6wr6llyidu1u
2) Install LG PC Suite (available in the built-in storage, LGE folder)
3) On your phone choose Setting > Applications > Development > USB Debugging
4) Connect your smartphone with PC
5) Unzip and run SuperOneClick. Then choose “Root”
6) Reboot your phone
- Go to Market and find app “Clockwork ROM Manager. Run this app and choose “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery”. Choose and download ROM.
- After downloading ROM, copy it into your sd card. You should place it in _ExternalSD folder.
- Run ClockwordMod ROM Manager and chose “Reboot into Recovery”
- After accessing to Recovery, you use the Up and Down volume buttons to move and use Power button to choose. Choose “install zip from SD card”
- Choose “choose zip in sdcard” and browse to the ROM file to install. After installing, go back to the first menu and choose “reboot system now”. If your phone does not reboot, unplug the battery and boot manually.
Note: if you up a completely new ROM, you need to format your phone first. Otherwise, errors may occur. To format you phone, run “wipe data/factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” in ClockworkMod Recovery. Remember to backup your data first.
5. Backup with ClockworkMod Recovery
- Reboot to ClockworkMod Recovery mode by using ROM Manager app or hold Power button and Down volume button at the same time when booting your phone.
- Using volume buttons to move to “Backup and restore” and choose it.
- Choose “Backup”
To restore, use “Restore” in “backup and restore” instead. Note: the restore process takes time.
6. Play NVIDIA Tegra 2 games on LG Optimus 3D
NVIDIA Tegra games are developed for Tegra platform so we cannot play them directly on LG Optimus 3D. To play these games, you need a tool named ChainFire3D (a OpenGL driver). Your phone need to be rooted first.
- Download ChainFire 3D at https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.cf3d.pro&feature=search_result
- Then download plug-ins.zip at http://www.mediafire.com/?28px1g9zobbsdoh and unzip it.
Step by step:
1) Connect LG Optimus 3D with your computer. Copy file libGLENU_NVIDIA.zip to card where we unzip Plug-ins.zip file.
2) Run ChainFire3D.
3) Choose ChainFire3D Driver.
4) Waiting your device reboots. Then run ChainFire 3D again and choose “Install plugins/shaders”
5) In the list, choose NVIDIA
6) Go to the main interface of ChainFire 3D again and choose “Default OpenGL Settings”
7) Choose “Use Plugins” and “NVIDIA” to complete.
Now you can play games developed for Tegra 2. Some Tegra 2 games:
- Galaxy on Fire 2
- Trainz Simulator
- Fruit Ninja THD
- Dungeon Defender THD
- Bang Bang Racing THD
- BackBreaker THD
In the case you cannot play at the first running time, turn off and reboot your phone to play.